Making My Way Through The Tunnel

Three day weekends. I want them all of the time. Maybe on top of an 8 hour work day we should also have a 4 day work week. I would vote for a president who could make that ish happen.

This weekend I am happy to announce I started to begin feeling the yucks start to lift. Not everyone has such a rough first trimester/early second trimester, but these are the cards I’ve been dealt and we’ve been plodding along through it all while seeking the light at the end of the tunnel.

I still don’t know where the light is. But! This weekend we gave our house a god scrubbing for the first time since May. And then we had our first guest over since before I was pregnant. It was kind of a big deal. We’ve been letting my body rule the roost, we really have had no other choice. So inviting someone into our den of pregnancy safety was a big deal. I’m ok with being the person who says no to fun things, but I really don’t want to be the person who cancels plans last minute. I’m too much of a planner to risk being flaky about someone else, so we just haven’t been making any plans. I’m hoping this weekend was a sign that the fog of yucks is lifting and we’ll be able to remind our friends we are alive.

On Monday I really didn’t want to sit around the house anymore. It was Labor Day! We were supposed to be out enjoying our labor-free-ness! So, we went to the zoo. I love the zoo! I realize that zoos are not always the best for animals but their work with conservation and education these days is pretty great. And I am fascinated with wildlife. Walking around outside for several hours is still something that could go terribly wrong for me, so we took water, snacks, and Kamel continually (continually!) reminded me we could turn around at any moment and I shouldn’t feel bad, no guilt, no problem. Even if we had just bought tickets and were taking two steps into the gates. This is how pathetic my little life has been all summer. It’s a reality that I’ve gotten into the car to go to target only to turn right back around and spend the rest of the day on the couch.  I made it through the giraffes, gorillas, penguins, and big cats with only one sit down/snack break before calling it quits. It wasn’t the most complete zoo day of my life, but it was a major success.

Afterward we drove a few blocks to Ocean Beach and, though it was 50 degrees in the city and windy, sat on the bulkhead and marveled at everyone still rocking the cook-out, playing rugby in the sand, walking their dogs, and totally enjoying this day of no work. You rule San Francisco, way to stick it out despite the no-summer. Here is a short video of us being goobers:

And then we went home to the 80 degree whether.

I hope you guys had a great 3-day weekend, I hope I continue to rise (even at a snails pace) above the yucks, and I hope we all rock this 4 day work week. Ahh yeahh.

5 thoughts on “Making My Way Through The Tunnel”

  1. I am so happy to hear you are reaching the end of the yucks !
    Days at the zoo are the best, and I totally agree with you on the work they are doing with education + conservation (of course animal welfare and enrichment programs have to be ensured).
    I would love 3 day-weekends, Lauren for president !

  2. I would vote for anyone (local, state or federal!) that would work for three day weekends. America really needs to value vacation more. It’d be great if Unions got behind the move. They are the ones that standardized the 40-hour workweek, after all.

  3. I am so glad you are feeling better! It is very frustrating to not be able to physically do the things you did just a few short weeks ago. Hopefully this weekend was the start of something good!

  4. Three day weekends are the best. I’m glad you were actually feeling well enough to be enjoying it.

    Does this mean we might get some zoo pictures on your next Instagrammy post?

Leave a Reply