1. This weekend starts a massive travel-a-plooza (and/or hurricane, depending on the day and who you’re talking to in our house). Here are the numbers:
7-8 trips between the two of us (1 is pending)
5-6 different cities
2 plane trips currently purchased (more to come next week. Yipes.)
2. I never told you what we got each other for valentines! I got Kamel 2 shirts from this amazing store. Kamel has an affinity for clever shirts. And when we moved I made him chuck 1/2 of them because his drawers were overflowing with shirts that either a) were old and gross (am I right ladies?!) b) did not fit c) I hated or d) he never wore but had a strange emotional attachment to. Now he feels free to buy better quality (ie not shirts he got for free and wore for 3 years straight) stuff and only wears stuff he really loves. Pairing down for the win!
Kamel braved the aisles of Anthropologie and managed to leave with this beauty:
The necklace is the only thing I’ve ever gotten complimented on at work. Two points for Kamel! Also it looks like pirate’s gold. A major plus.
3. So… I’ve been thinking about this ever since last Wednesday when I posted Relationship Truths. Going into that post I had major reservations about publishing it at all. I didn’t want a big angry fight in the comments. I didn’t want you guys to feel like I was “telling you how it is” or acting like I’m Miss Perfect Who Knows Everything, or that I had all the answers. I didn’t want the frustrating back and forth that is, “well I know this one couple who totally makes what you’re saying obsolete!” I was bracing for impact when I pushed publish. I gritted my teeth and hoped my day wouldn’t revolve around putting out fires or apologizing for my pretty solid opinions. I mean, this is actually what I think. I’m sharing it because I think it might be useful, and also because I like to hear what other people think. But this post, before it went live, made me feel like shrinking into a hole and apologizing before it had even begun.
But here is where my true apology starts. I totally underestimated the wisdom in my readers. It’s not like I don’t know you all are bright, thoughtful, opinionated, well read and lovely. I do know this. But the fear of writing in public, of speaking in public, of sharing in public sometimes grips me and I wince before anyone has even raised their hand. Bottom line, you guys blew me out of the water and I felt sheepish about how much you all totally rocked that post. So, thank you. I was totally wrong for worrying and I’m sorry for thinking you weren’t up for the task.
4. After I got home from my latest (and BEST short hair haircut yet!) I became very confident in my need to grow out my hair again. Even though I don’t feel like I have John and Kate Plus 8 Hair, and I feel sassy and it’s easy to handle in the morning, I had this revelation that I am not a short-haired person. I have the long neck for it, yes. I recognize my mother’s fabulously long neck. But even though my hair is short, I still sort of twirl the ends when I’m nervous (which makes zero sense in public and is slightly embarrassing when I realize it), I crave pony tails, and I’m sort of tired of waking up with it all up in my face all of the time. Ya know, as opposed to it all up in my armpits like it is when it was long. Sigh. I’m not really sure how to handle the grow out process… and I need to get through Maris’s wedding without having cray-cray hair (the photos will be permanent, after all)… so we’ll see.
5. January was the longest month of my life. February has seemed to fly by. I realize it’s a shorter month, but I’m still surprised it’s NOT January still. Anyways, here are some bloggy news and updates:
– I’m heading towards another blog re-do. You can look forward to new art and new colors and a new set up at some point in the spring. (Oh god, my towering to-do list.)
– I’ve already planned out my next big GIVEAWAY (I feel like it deserves some sort of trademark capslock) to happen in the coming months (probably 3) and it’s going to be AWESOME. Seriously.
– I’m always on the lookout for more Visiting Artists, so if you know anyone or are interested in being featured please contact me.